Maritime and coastguard agency - Register a Beacon Accreditation
Digital Accessibility Centre Certificate of Accreditation
Accreditation Certificate Number:
Certificate issue date:
Certificate expiry date:
To achieve certification each undergoes a manual technical compliance review against WCAG 2.1 to level AA.
The underwent both a technical compliance audit and robust end to end testing by users with a wide range of disabilities including blind, low vision, dyslexia, colour blindness, mobility impairments, learning difficulties, Deaf, Asperger and anxiety and panic disorder.
All testing is carried out in line with relevant platform specific guidelines, and where applicable, conforms with The Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018. Testing also conforms to Section 508 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
List of issues
- Error suggestions on the 'Create a Beacon Registry Account - GOV.UK' page are not specific of the error that has occurred. This fails 3.3.3 Error Suggestion (Level AA). However, this page belongs to a third party which is beyond the Maritime and Coastguard Agency's control.
- Some users found some link text difficult to read due to the low contrast of foreground and background colours (foreground: #1d70b8; background: #FFFFFF; point size: 12pt; weight: normal). The expected minimum colour contrast ratio for text of this size and weight is 7:1. This fails 1.4.6 Contrast (Enhanced) (Level AAA)
- 'Register a UK 406 Beacon for commercial or pleasure use' landing page
- 'Do you have a beacon registry account?' page
- 'Create a Beacon Registry Account' page
- You will receive a verification code by email.
- The page will refresh and you will be required to provide a password and confirm that password before clicking on 'Create'.
- 'Your Beacon Registry Account' page
- 'Check beacon details' page
- 'Beacon information' page
- 'What is the main use for this beacon?' page
- 'Is your maritime use of this beacon mainly for pleasure or commercial reasons?' page
- 'Please select the pleasure maritime activity that best describes how the beacon will be used'
- 'About the vessel, windfarm or rig/platform' page
- 'How can we communicate with you, when on this vessel, rig or windfarm?' page
- 'Provide more details that would help in a search' page
- 'Summary of how you use this beacon' page
- 'About the beacon owner' page
- 'What is the beacon owners address?' page
- 'Add emergency contact for up to 3 people' page
- 'Check your answers' page
- 'Application Complete' confirmation page
This certificate was issued on the and represents the state of the pages audited on this date. Any further changes after the accreditation date are not covered by this certificate.
Additionally, any pages/areas of the website not listed the above scope of testing are also not covered by this certificate as we cannot guarantee their accessibility state.
We audit against the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines V2.1 level A and level AA to test how accessible the website is, using theWebsite Accessibility Conformance Evaluation Methodology (WCAG-EM) to evaluate conformance.